- Identify what you are feeling;
- Know how to interpret your emotions;
- Understand how your emotions impact others;
- Regulate your emotions; and
- Manage other people’s emotions
- to be effective listeners;
- have a heightened awareness of their own and others strengths and weaknesses;
- have a commitment to the growth of people; and
- be able to understand and empathize with others.
The ties between Servant Leadership and EQ are almost endless. For example, effective listening means talking less and actually listening to understand and not just to respond. Taking time to hear and comprehend not only the words being spoken but also the emotional content within the message and the emotional state of the other person(s). Effective servant leaders with high EQ listen respectively to their staff and identify both their staff’s and their own emotional state before responding and/or acting upon the information they receive. They are keenly aware that helping shift or guide the emotions of their staff will make a huge difference upon the successful implementation of any answer or directive given.